Refrigerators have contributed a lot to the preserved and pickled food vanishing from our dinner table. In olden day we had some amazing pickled vegetables. Adding a bit of fermented food like pickles even aids digestion. Pickles are not only good for the taste but for heath too.
This recipe I picked up from my grandmother. It only takes 15 minutes to prepare and tastes great with fish meat or vegetables. Try it today.
- 2 Small Cucumbers
- 1 Table Spoon Table Salt
- 1 Cup water
- 50 ml White Vinegar
- 100 gm Sugar
- Bay Leaf One
- Half Tea spoon All spice.
- Slice the cucumbers to thin round pieces. Do not Peel the cucumber. This makes 5 -6 cups of sliced cucumber.
- Place the cucumber in a large vessel and sprinkle salt. Leave it for half an hour.
- Mix water, vinegar, Bay leaf and All spice in a sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. When it starts boiling stir to mix and then remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Rinse the salt from the cucumber slices and squeeze out moisture using paper tissues. Using hands is the best.
- Place the cucumber in a glass jar and pour the pickling mix over it. Close the jar with a tight lid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Now the pickled cucumber is ready. Add lemon juice for extra taste.