Mango is a seasonal fruit and we yearn for them in off-season. The best way is to preserve it in two ways. Make Jam and make cake.
The ingredients: Mangoes 1/2 kg, Sugar 1/2 kg and lemon juice 25 ml.
- Peel and cut the mango into small pieces. Then grate half and grind the other half in the mixer.
- Put the ground mango paste lime juice in a non stick and cook for 15 minutes. The water will evaporate and the mix will be thick. Add the grated mango and cook for another 5 minutes.
- The mixture will have a shine now. Switch off the stove and let the mixture cool.
- When cooled store in a glass container which is air tight. Glass container is preferable as it is healthy and does not react with the jam.
- Store in refrigerator for long usage.
Mango cake is real preservation of taste of mango and lasts longer than jam. It is not the usual cake.
The ingredients: Mangoes 1 kg, Sugar 500 gm, Black Salt, Pepper powder 5 gm,, Cumin seeds (natural preservative) 50 gm.
- Cut the mango and extract the pulp.
- Use sieve to further extract the juice and pulp.
- Dry fry the cumin seeds and grind it in mixer to make powder.
- Cook the pulp over low flame for an hour. Let it become a mash.
- Then boil sugar in a cup of water to make syrup.
- Pour the mash into this syrup and cook for an hour. Add and mix salt , cumin powder and pepper powder.
- The cooked mix will be almost solid. You can mold it into various shapes for fun.